Skip to main content
image for History


three boys standing
Five boys

A ministry of St. Paul Church, St. Paul Catholic School opened on September 3, 1952, staffed by the Notre Dame of Cleveland Sisters. The school opened with 184 students enrolled in first through fourth grades. Each year, thereafter, the school added a grade of students, graduating its first 8th grade class in 1957. The school’s first principal, Sister Mary Agnessine, the Mother Superior of the Sisters, set the school’s tuition rate at $2.00 per month.

In the late 1970’s, the Sisters withdrew from the ministry of education at St. Paul Catholic School, and the transition of leadership passed to lay professionals, who now fill the administrative and faculty positions. As a community of faith, through prayer, service, and active gratitude, St. Paul continues to build on the charism and commitment of the Sisters who established our school. The Conventual Franciscan Friars, under the auspices of the Diocese of Oakland, work collaboratively with the principal, the faculty and staff, and the parents of St. Paul to provide a safe place for young people to get to know the love of Jesus and to further understand the gifts of the Holy Spirit.